WWI Propaganda Poster by Jean Droit
This item is currently on display at:
Molly and Maud's Showroom, York
This is a striking French WW1 propaganda poster by Jean Droit (1884-1961). Published by Devambez, Imp. Paris. 1918. Colour Lithograph.
The poster depicts a French soldier climbing out of a trench and says ‘4e Emprunt National, Souscrivez. Société Centrale des Banques de Province.' The title translates to: The 4th National Loan. Subscribe.
During the First World War, these National Defence Loans were used by the French government to raise money. Unsurprisingly, the length of the conflict and the amount of material used meant that the war effort was a costly exercise. The civilian society were invited to contribute with their savings. To convince the Home Front a vast range of posters and postcards playing on patriotic feelings were printed in order to mobilise the rear and make it feel involved.
Jean Droit was born August 1884 and died December 1961. He was a French painter, illustrator and writer.
From an early age, he manifested himself as a natural artist and watercolorist above all. In 1911, he had his first exhibition of watercolours by Jean Droit at the Galerie du Roy in Brussels.
His posters and illustrations were published in numerous magazines and in luxury books, were universally known and appreciated. Shortly before 1914 , he designed the plates for the Belgian Army uniforms.
As soon as he returned to France, he was a draftsman at the Manufacture de Sèvres, and resumed his artistic and educational activities. He very quickly became famous for his posters. Several of his works appear at the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces in Brussels.He is also the creator of wall decorations and drawings for the luxury publisher Piazza.
The poster measures 112cm by 79cm and the frame measures 119cm by 86cm.
We offer an efficient and professional delivery service around the UK and worldwide. We offer free delivery to mainland UK on items that cost over £500, this offer does not include Wales, Devon, Cornwall and further north of Scotland than Edinburgh and Glasgow.' Alternatively you are always welcome to collect any item from our premises in Kirk Hammerton.
We are experienced in shipping items worldwide as well as throughout the UK. Please do contact us if you wish to receive a quote or discuss delivery logistics.
1. All purchases must be paid for prior to their removal from our premises
2. As with all items you are welcome to collect in person or feel free to arrange your own courier. We will try and help as much as possible with packaging however please check beforehand as there may be an additional cost for excessive packaging materials.
3. Please note we cannot be held responsible for any item once it has been collected by yourself or your own courier.
4. All goods are sold as seen at our premises. While we may supply photographs, measurements, catalogues and drawings of goods, these items are for identification and reference only, customers are advised to examine the goods as to their condition, dimensions and quality, before purchase, and we give no warranty or guarantee in respect thereof.
5. The vast majority of our items are bespoke and unique, therefore items appearing on the website might no longer be available and we reserve the right to withdraw any item from sale at any time, even after an order has been placed. We will contact you as soon as possible in the event of your ordering an unavailable item.
6. If you require a refund once an item has been delivered, we will refund you the cost of the item minus delivery cost and the buyer must pay return delivery. A refund will not be given until the item is back on our premises and checked.
7. Contact must be made within 7 days of your purchase if you would like a refund.
8. Our bespoke delivery service that we offer on goods over £500 is a one man service therefore if the item that you have purchased requires more than one person to lift we are happy to supply another person at additional cost otherwise help will be needed at your end of the delivery.
9. Please allow up to 14 days for a delivery to be made unless otherwise stated.
free delivery for all orders over £500
get in touch for a delivery quote
We offer an efficient and professional delivery service around the UK and worldwide. We offer free delivery to mainland UK on items that cost over £500.
This offer does not include Wales, Devon, Cornwall and further north of Scotland than Edinburgh and Glasgow.