Large Howard and Sons Barrel Back Armchair
This item is currently on display at:
Molly and Maud's Showroom, York
Early 20th Century rare Howard and Sons barrel back armchair.
The chair has the makers stamp on one back leg and all four casters.
It has been stripped of its old upholstery to reveal an excellent frame in good condition.
We can upholster this in the fabric of your choice at additional cost, please get in touch for more details.
121cm high, 79cm wide and 88cm deep. The seat depth is 60cm and and seat height is 53cm.
The name Howard and Sons is probably one of the best known and highly sought after names in upholstered antique furniture.
The company was started by John Howard in 1820 trading from 24 Leman St, London as a cabinet maker.
Over the next 25 years they would make several changes of premises within the Whitechapel area first to 27 Great Alie St. (now just Alie St.) before moving a short distance to 34 Great Alie St.
In 1844 the company made its first venture into upholstered antique furniture by opening a showroom/workshop at 36 Red Lion St.
Their next move in 1848 was to their most famous location, Berners St, London which was named John Howard and Sons, Cabinet maker, upholsterer and decorator. The business seemed to boom from this location with workshops opening at Tottenham St, Charlotte Mews and Fitzroy Square plus expansion into a second building on Berners St in 1853.
In 1869 the company consolidated its many workshops into one building on Cleveland St and by 1872 the company was occupying 25, 26 and 27 Berners St. These addresses remained unchanged until 1935.
During this period of time they became a limited company in 1899 and won the first of their Royal Warrants in 1901.
We offer an efficient and professional worldwide delivery service. If you are interested in an item please get in touch to discuss delivery options.
Alternatively you are always welcome to collect any item from our premises in Kirk Hammerton.
1. All purchases must be paid for prior to their removal from our premises
2. As with all items you are welcome to collect in person or feel free to arrange your own courier. We will try and help as much as possible with packaging however please check beforehand as there may be an additional cost for excessive packaging materials.
3. Please note we cannot be held responsible for any item once it has been collected by yourself or your own courier.
4. All goods are sold as seen at our premises. While we may supply photographs, measurements, catalogues and drawings of goods, these items are for identification and reference only, customers are advised to examine the goods as to their condition, dimensions and quality, before purchase, and we give no warranty or guarantee in respect thereof.
5. The vast majority of our items are bespoke and unique, therefore items appearing on the website might no longer be available and we reserve the right to withdraw any item from sale at any time, even after an order has been placed. We will contact you as soon as possible in the event of your ordering an unavailable item.
6. If you require a refund once an item has been delivered, we will refund you the cost of the item minus delivery cost and the buyer must pay return delivery. A refund will not be given until the item is back on our premises and checked.
7. Contact must be made within 7 days of your purchase if you would like a refund.
8. Our bespoke delivery service that we offer on goods over £500 is a one man service therefore if the item that you have purchased requires more than one person to lift we are happy to supply another person at additional cost otherwise help will be needed at your end of the delivery.
9. Please allow up to 14 days for a delivery to be made unless otherwise stated.