Dickens Character by 'Kyd'
This item is currently on display at:
Molly and Maud's Showroom, York
This is an original signed watercolour of a Dickens character by Joseph Clayton Clarke (1857-1937).
Clarke was a British artist who worked under the pseudonyn of Kyd. Clarke was born on the Isle of Man, the son of a British army captain.
He also designed cigarette cards and postcards but he was best know for painting characters from the works of Charles Dickens. He worked for Punch for only 1 day and then as a freelance artist until 1900.
The British Museum acquired 598 of his Charles Dickens illustrations in 1910. The V and A, The Charles Dickens museum and The University of Austin, Texas all have significant collections of His Dickens works. Six of his illustrations were issued as stamps by the Royal Mail in 2012 to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of Dickens.
Mounted in a simple gilt frame.
The frame measures 25 by 19.5cm.
We offer an efficient and professional worldwide delivery service. If you are interested in an item please get in touch to discuss delivery options.
Alternatively you are always welcome to collect any item from our premises in Kirk Hammerton.
1. All purchases must be paid for prior to their removal from our premises
2. As with all items you are welcome to collect in person or feel free to arrange your own courier. We will try and help as much as possible with packaging however please check beforehand as there may be an additional cost for excessive packaging materials.
3. Please note we cannot be held responsible for any item once it has been collected by yourself or your own courier.
4. All goods are sold as seen at our premises. While we may supply photographs, measurements, catalogues and drawings of goods, these items are for identification and reference only, customers are advised to examine the goods as to their condition, dimensions and quality, before purchase, and we give no warranty or guarantee in respect thereof.
5. The vast majority of our items are bespoke and unique, therefore items appearing on the website might no longer be available and we reserve the right to withdraw any item from sale at any time, even after an order has been placed. We will contact you as soon as possible in the event of your ordering an unavailable item.
6. If you require a refund once an item has been delivered, we will refund you the cost of the item minus delivery cost and the buyer must pay return delivery. A refund will not be given until the item is back on our premises and checked.
7. Contact must be made within 7 days of your purchase if you would like a refund.
8. Our bespoke delivery service that we offer on goods over £500 is a one man service therefore if the item that you have purchased requires more than one person to lift we are happy to supply another person at additional cost otherwise help will be needed at your end of the delivery.
9. Please allow up to 14 days for a delivery to be made unless otherwise stated.